I. General Summary:
This position is for pre-health graduates. Under direct clinical supervision of the on-site physician, assists in the delivery of patient care. Performs delegated medical tasks, assists physician and nursing staff with patient care and may perform clerical duties. Where electronic system is in use, will utilize the EMR for documentation purposes. Fulfillment of job duties requires access to medication storage areas and to transport medications to/ from medication storage and delivery areas. Under direct operational supervision of the manager or designee, participates in the day to operations and patient flow as assigned.
II. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks:
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. All CapYear (GY) medical assistants are expected to participate in both clinical and administrative tasks and display core values of the organization. The below items are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
A. Clinical Duties:
- Gathers and documents brief history and chief complaint in the medical record/EMR
- Follows established clinic workflows to facilitate efficiency and timely service to patients
- Prepares patient for examination by the health care provider. Performs and documents vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, temperature) and risk screening on all patients per hospital policy. Reports out of range values in vital signs and risk screening to the provider.
- Performs routine clinic testing, including but not limited to: point of care testing, hearing screening, pulse oximetry, etc. Follows established guidelines or protocols where applicable.
- Assists provider with procedures and minor surgical procedures.
- Obtains necessary blood and urine specimens per provider orders.
- Provides pre-printed patient education /material as directed by physician.
- Exhibits compassion and empathy for all patients and families at all times.
- Performs cleaning and disinfection of environment of care according to hospital policy.
- Performs high level disinfection of equipment/instruments per unit/hospital procedure.
- Stocks/restocks supply and exam rooms maintaining necessary supplies in clinical area.
- Ensures equipment used in clinical area has a current Biomed sticker and is ready for use.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient populations(s) served. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his or her population-specific and age specific needs. Provides the care needed as described in the unit/area/department policies and procedures.
- Manages voicemail and in-basket messaging systems. Retrieves and routes or addresses messages directly per established clinic specific workflows and hospital policy.
B. Administrative Duties:
- Assists with front desk operations to include but not limited to: patient check in and check out, scheduling, filing, patient phone calls, facility fee quotes, co-pay collections where applicable and informing patients of possible delays.
- Responsible for reading email and other hospital communications timely and applying new information in daily practice.
- Plays active role in compliance with regulatory requirements. Maintains a safe environment of care and reports safety concerns.
C. Additional Duties:
- Participates in medical assistant skill development and competency evaluation as requested by clinic manager.
- Responsible for self-learning; attends educational offerings and in-services independently.
- Participates in clinic-based process improvement efforts.
- Actively participates in clinic huddles/staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
III. Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- CPR certification required.
IV. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of aseptic and sterile techniques.
- Knowledge of blood and body fluid precautions.
- Ability to perform basic clinical skills such as obtaining vital signs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, team members within the practice, and other members of the organization.
- Demonstrates ability to work on a team and effectively communicate with colleagues and patients.
V. Patient Safety:
Ensures patient safety in the performance of job functions and through participation in hospital, department or unit patient safety initiatives.
- Takes action to correct observed risks to patient safety.
- Reports adverse events and near misses to appropriate management authority.
- Implements policies, procedure, and standards consistently in the performance of assigned duties.
- Develops effective working relationships and maintains good communication with other team members.
- Identifies possible risks in processes, procedures, devices and communicates the same to those in charge.
- University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus, 827 Linden Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21201
Hours and Pay Rate:
- Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- $22.92/hour depending on experience