The Medical Assistant is the first clinical contact for each patient and provides kind and caring service to each patient from initial triage through patient discharge. The role of the Medical Assistant is to guide patients through their visit and carry out provider orders according to established procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet each patient, verify identity at each encounter, explain procedures to be performed, and address patient questions and concerns.
- Manage difficult or emotional patient situations, respond promptly to customer needs.
- Treat people with respect, inspire trust of others, work with integrity, and uphold organizational values.
- Take temperature, pulse, blood pressure, and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal.
- Explain prescribed procedures and treatments to patients.
- Prepare equipment and aid provider during treatment and examination of patient.
- Ensure all ordered tests are performed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Administer prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques.
- Maintain awareness of comfort and needs of the patient and work proactively to address adverse circumstances, such as dissatisfied patients and adverse patient reactions to treatments.
- Observe patient, record significant conditions and reactions, and notify supervisor or provider of patient’s condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents.
- Respond to life saving situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures, and protocol.
- Perform all drug screening procedures in accordance with established rules and regulations.
- Ensure patient immunizations are appropriate, well documented and administered using approved nursing techniques.
- Conduct provider referrals as well as service pre-certifications on an as needed basis.
- Document nursing history and physical assessment of patients.
- Prepare rooms; sterilize instruments, equipment, and supplies for procedures.
- Ensure work area is neat and clean, fully stocked and all laundry items have been laundered and put away.
- Manage difficult and emotional customer situations.
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Maintain complete and accurate documentation.
- Observe safety and security procedures; promote a safe and pleasant work environment.
- Report potentially unsafe conditions to management.
- Respond to all patient messages; documenting conversations in electronic medical records system, assist with any patient discharging duties and share responsibility of call back sheets.
- Regular attendance to ensure efficient clinic operations.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Rotate among various clinical services such as lab, nursing and x-ray.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Associates degree (A.A.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- 8AM-8PM Monday - Friday
- 8AM-5PM Saturday – Sunday
- Flexible schedule
- 3 - 4 shifts per week
- Rotating weekends